Anisha Patel2023-24 PRESIDENT
Welcome! I am so excited to serve as President of The Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division (YLD)! I have had the honor of serving on the YLD Board of Governors for the past six years, with a further three years of service on what was previously known as the YLD’s Law Student Division Board of Governors. I have therefore had the opportunity to collaborate and serve with many of you, and I look forward to continuing that this year.
The YLD has over 23,000 members under the age of 36 or within the first five (5) years of practice. Consistent with The Florida Bar’s core function, it is the YLD’s role to ensure that our young lawyer members are given the tools and education they need to exhibit the highest standards of professionalism, remain out of the disciplinary system, and, ultimately, excel in the legal profession. While our theme for this year is “Professionalism in Practice,” our goal is to reach all of our members with programs and initiatives to help young lawyers succeed. They include:
• A free half-day virtual conference this fall, with a job fair and CLE seminars on professionalism and discipline, substantive practice-driven education, student loan management and public service loan forgiveness, a segment showcasing our Florida Bar sections, and targeted training and resources directed to every type of lawyer, young lawyer, and law student in Florida;
• An innovative new Professionalism Academy designed to provide young lawyers with the very best in professionalism content and education, and supplement the Practicing with Professionalism course that is mandatory for lawyers in their first year of practice;
• Practice focused webinars designed to guide young lawyers through different cases and transactions from their inception through their conclusion, with an emphasis on practice areas that compliment pro bono needs in Florida;
• An Affiliate Outreach Conference (AOC) that includes more robust educational sessions and opportunities for engagement with our Affiliate and young lawyer leaders;
• The launch of the YLD’s 36 under 36 professionalism awards to recognize young lawyers who exhibit the highest standards of professionalism in their practice; and
• Collaboration with Sections of The Florida Bar to provide young lawyers with additional leadership, fellowship, and mentoring opportunities.
As newer practitioners, young lawyers are building the foundation their careers will rest upon. It is therefore imperative that young lawyers are given the tools and opportunity to succeed. The YLD is here to help with that, and I am here to help with that, but we also need your participation. If you are interested in learning more about YLD or becoming more involved, contact us on social media @flabaryld (Facebook, Instagram) or through the contact form on this website. You are also welcome to contact me personally at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to serving all of you.