Building Blocks to Wellness
Consistent with Foley & Lardner LLP’s core values of stewardship, accountability, and sustaining a work environment that promotes the well-being and professional best of its people, Foley is proud to feature its Building Blocks to Wellness initiative, in which many resources are available for all personnel to adopt and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
The Wellness resources are available on the firm’s Wellness portal on the firm’s intranet site. These resources include, but are not limited to:
- Personal Health Assessment The Personal Health Assessment consists of a 10-minute survey to help employees access their current health status. Along with biometric numbers, the PHA provides a comprehensive look at an employee’s health and well-being.
- Health Coaching Free, personalized wellness coaching is available in which employees work with a dietician/fitness specialist. Employees can communicate with them via email or phone while utilizing the portal’s resources to maximize results.
- Meal Planning and Nutrition Tracking Employees can use nutrition tools to create a customized meal plan, evaluate their caloric needs, and track their diet. Healthy recipes complete with nutritional information are also available for downloading.
- Exercise Tracking Employees can choose from one of the portal’s many exercise plans, or create their own. They can also read information on injury prevention.
- Healthy Options in Vending Machines The firm tries to offer as many healthy snack options in their vending machines as possible. Nutrition information is available near each machine so that employees can consider which snack option is best for them.All health information within the Wellness portal is completely confidential. To incentivize employees to participate in the Building Blocks to Wellness program, employees can earn and are awarded with credits. Participating employees can receive up to $480 in credits annually, which is put towards their health insurance premium.
In addition to participating in the Building Blocks to Wellness program, Foley employees can also participate in firm-wide activities that promote good physical, mental and emotional health. Employees from all fitness levels, career paths and personal interests are invited to participate. Below are some “perks” that firm offices provide:
- Wednesday Wellness Walks Each Wednesday, employees are invited on a Wellness Walk in which employees can get outside (weather permitting) and walk with their friends and colleagues. Water and granola bars are provided prior to each walk.
- Wednesday Fruit Carts Every Wednesday, Wellness committee members make rounds to each floor of each office with a cart containing a selection of fruit and healthy snacks. Employees are welcome to choose an item, at no charge to them.
- Third-Thursday of the Month Beer and Wine Social On the third Thursday of each month, Foley attorneys get together for a social event, whether that be after hours at the firm’s offices, or offsite. Junior and senior attorneys can connect on what’s currently going on at the office, but can also catch up on a personal level and really get to know one another.
- Blue Jean Fridays Every Friday, all Foley employees are permitted allowed to wear jeans, given that they do not have meetings or gatherings with clients. While employees are still expected to portray a professional image, this allows for a relaxed, end-of-the-week atmosphere.
- Ping Pong Tables Several of the firm’s offices have ping pong tables, in which employees can break away from their desks to play a round or two with colleagues.
- Counseling Partners On occasion a matter may arise regarding an employee’s actions, or the actions of someone else in the firm, that an employee wishes to discuss with someone other than their Office Administrator, Partner-in-Charge, or Department Chair. In such circumstances, employees are encouraged to consult with the Counseling Partners. Counseling Partners have the task of trying to work through whatever issue(s) employees are struggling with and jointly determine what course of conduct is appropriate. Confidentiality is maintained at all times, and employees should feel comfortable discussing any matter with the Counseling Partners.
- Chair Massages Once a month, in the firm’s Jacksonville office, employees are able to schedule chair massages with a masseuse who sets up in an empty room. Walk-ins are welcome, and appointments can be made to accommodate busy schedules.
- Ergonomics Employees can request special equipment to make their offices ergonomically friendly, such as adjustable desks, ergonomic keyboards and headsets. Due to many employees being sedentary for long periods of the day, the firm wants each individual to be as comfortable as possible.