Tell us a little bit about your section
- The Appellate Practice Section (“APS”) of the Florida Bar is a 1700-person organization devoted to promoting excellence in Florida’s state and federal appellate courts
- Its members include civil and criminal lawyers, plaintiff and defense lawyers, and others interested in the appellate process
- The purpose of this section is to enhance the role and skills of members of The Florida Bar who are engaged in appellate practice through study, continuing legal education, the dissemination of materials on matters of interest and concern to the membership, and through the exchange of ideas among the membership of the section.
- Our committees are focused on developing and providing continuing legal education that is of interest to members and non-members alike, forming partnerships with other sections of the Florida Bar, and coordinating proving pro bono appellate services to those in need
- The APS also publishes a regular column in the Florida Bar Journal, the Record (the APS’ newsletter), and the Florida Appellate Practice guide
Why would a young lawyer benefit from membership in your section? And how do you join?
- Young lawyers can benefit in many ways by joining the APS. There are tremendous and accessible opportunities to become published, to learn from and work with more experienced appellate practitioners, and to connect with practitioners around the state
- To join, you can select the option to become a member of the APS at the same time your pay your annual bar dues and a small additional fee will be added to your total charges. You can also login to your Florida Bar account and join a section that way at any time.
- Once you join the APS, you can visit www.flabarappellate.org to view all the committees. You should email the committee chairs of any committee with which you are interested in becoming involved
Any upcoming events that young lawyer members (or non-members) of your section can participate in?
- Our next upcoming even is at the Florida Bar’s Winter Meeting at the Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center in Kissimmee, Fl. The winter meetings run from January 25 – 28, 2017
- Every month, the APS hosts a telephonic CLE on a different topic. Each CLE is generally only $20 for members ($35 for non-members), and discounts are offered for signing up in advance for the full year