Cooley Law School is a private, independent, non-profit, 501(c)(3) tax-exempt law school dedicated to teaching students the knowledge, skills, and ethics needed to succeed in both the law and its practice and to be valuable members of society.
The mission of Cooley Law School is to prepare its graduates for entry into the legal profession through an integrated program with practical legal education as its guiding principle and focus. This mission includes providing broad access to those who seek the opportunity to study law, while requiring that those to whom that opportunity is offered to meet Cooley’s rigorous academic standards.
The preparation for practice mission means that Cooley graduates must:
- Master the fundamentals and basic skills required for the competent practice of law and representation of clients;
- Demonstrate the substantive knowledge and skills required for passage of a bar examination and admission to the bar; and
- Understand and embrace the legal, moral, ethical, and professional responsibility of lawyers.
Cooley Law School is a collaborative community of students, staff, faculty, administration, and alumni that work together to create an educational experience that transforms students into respected members of the legal profession. Our Cooley Community reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, study, and work. As members of the Cooley Community:
- We embrace and encourage opportunity, inclusivity, fairness, and equality.
- We approach challenges with creativity and a commitment to innovation.
- We foster respect, tolerance, collegiality, open communication, and collaboration.
- We strengthen society through leadership, service, and dedication to the rule of law.
- We operate as a unified law school with multiple campuses.